1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guns - yes or no

Discussion in 'Topics for debate' started by Arrowhead, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Silver Poster Awesome Poster

After the Arizona tragedy, gun sales the next day rose dramatically. Personally, this worries me. Most issues occur at home, not in front of Safeway stores. Too many kids die because their parents own guns. I'm against it. How about you?

2. The Law

The Law Silver Poster Awesome Poster

In my opinion, it is not the gun itself, it is the peron that makes the wrong choice. If we are gonna say that guns kill people, we might as well say that pencils misspell words. It's illogical to blame the weapon and not the person.

Mike30 likes this.
  3. BillyG

BillyG Silver Poster Awesome Poster

Exactly, Law! If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words and spoons made Oprah fat. Blame the person, not the tool used.

Besides, it's our constitutional right to bear arms.

And you know what they say. Never take a knife to a gun fight.

4. Enza

Enza Silver Poster Awesome Poster

USA is the perfect nations where a sociopath can be a serial killer
    Is more easy kill a person with a gun that a knife
    The result undiscutible is that the gun do more crimes
    In Canada the percaint of crimes is smaller that in USA

5. trudy

trudy Silver Poster Awesome Poster

I agree with all of the above...NO to guns, but if you want one to murder and mame, you WILL get one from somewhere.

6. Brandon

Brandon Just here to have fun

I don't see a problem with having a gun or two, as with anything though it's the responsibility of the gun owner to take care of it and keep it locked up.

7. trudy

trudy Silver Poster Awesome Poster

There is the argument that if you have a gun to hand, you may use it during an argument that can be resolved by other means.

8. ssvs04

ssvs04 Contributors

Well then we should outlaw all pools. We should outlaw all cars. We shouldnt allow any tubs in homes. Do you know how many kids die in tubs every year. Plastic bags we cant have them little timmy might suffacate. Flying how can we allow kids to fly if there is a chance of the plane crashing.

Sorry I dont want a nanny state and have learned twice in my life cops cant be there to save you and your family at all times. I and my family all know how to use a gun and rifle and I will always have one with me at all times. Florida is working on a bill for open carry to hopefully pass soon. I have a concealed weapons permit but will for sure use the open carry law when it passes.

The American founders like most of what they have written got this one correct.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

And if im drinking I might go and kill someone in my car. So should we outlaw all cars and alcohol.

Mike30 likes this.
  9. Big Dan

Big Dan Needs Coffee

I'm not a gun person myself but do support other's right to own them.

To me the bigger issue is fully automatic weapons. I have no problem with you owning a pistol or rifle or even 20 of each. When you pull out a full auto gun I start questioning your motives. WTH are you planning on using it for? You cannot hunt with one. Self defense is out as you're pretty much guaranteed to cause collateral damage in close quarters.

10. JackieBlue

JackieBlue Contributors

11. captainnotso

captainnotso Silver Poster Awesome Poster

Guns are unnecessary for a modern society to flourish and as we see a lot of the craziness that goes on in the USA with kids going on killing sprees in your schools for a start, is justification for stricter controls. We have a much tougher stance on gun ownership here in the UK but having said that we have had some very serious problems with licenced lunatics going postal and shooting Innocent people, the worst cases of which were the Hungerford Massacre perpetrated by Michael Ryan and the other more tragic incident was the Dunblane school shooting by Tomas Hamilton where he killed 19 children and 1 adult.

I for one don't think the right to bear arms is justified because access to guns means that there will always be an element who abuse it because of mental instability let alone the criminals.

The UK has no where near the amount of anguish caused by guns as you do in the USA and I for one am glad.

That does not mean that if you live in the wilderness and choose to hunt for food with a gun that there should be an outright ban. I think the days of the wild west are long gone and the law needs to change reguarding gun controls to reflect that.

You could argue that a criminal will get hold of a gun whatever the law states but as we see in the UK by there being tough controls which inherantly lessens the problem of gun crime because of the lack of availability and the puishment for illegal arms is quite stern.

In summary then I think tougher controls would eleviate some of the problems you encounter with gun crime and would help to reduce unecessary deaths.

12. ssvs04

ssvs04 Contributors

Yup that means all the criminals who choose to have guns have them and the innocent are helpless. Sounds like a great system you got there. When my government can absolutely garuantee me 100% percent my safety from criminals my 45. and my wifes 357. stay with us where ever we go. Even if government made that promise I would no better then to trust governments word on anything they say. America will never give up its freedom to bear arms and we have flourished just fine. And Florida is probably going to make a law allowing open carry of your gun this year. I for one will take advantage of that new law when it goes into effect.

13. Darlene O

Darlene O Silver Poster Awesome Poster

Definite NO!~ Guns are dangerous in the wrong hands. And unfortunately they often end up in the wrong hands!
    And if you want to hunt use a bow. Much more sporting..

14. Monster

Monster Moderator

Here in Germany, you can get a gun only with a special weapons permit, and most of the time, only specialized sports weapons. Real guns are allowed only for those who need it, like the military, police, or security firms. I once knew a guy who used sports weapons, and he complained about all the regulations, that he had to use a special box inside the trunk of his car to transport the weapon, and had to transport the ammo separately.

I met one or two guys with illegal guns, and they're available on the black market, but it's illegal then, and they get punished if caught.

When someone's attacking you with a knife, you still have the chance to kick their asses, but when someone fires a gun at you, you can be dead or severely injured.

15. krabbby

krabbby Silver Poster Awesome Poster

the second amendment gives you the right to bear arms, but it does specifically give you the right to posess a firearm. take away a mans tool and he can not get the job done

16. Mairin

Mairin Silver Poster Awesome Poster

I used to fear guns horribly, but my husband went over all the gun safety rules. After that short lesson I was a whole lot more comfortable with it. I agree that its the people not the weapon.

^^That is hilarious about Oprah and the spoons!!

17. czilla85

czilla85 Silver Poster Awesome Poster

Yes to the 2nd!

Where most incidents involving guns do happen at home, they happen because either an uneducated person owns that gun or the gun owner does not lock his/her guns up or forgets to and a child finds them. Other than that, guns have helped foil robberies, protect homes, and save lives. They also help a great deal with hunting. The point is, the 2nd Amendment clearly states that we have the right to bear arms. Some people abuse this right others don't. Some abuse their abilities to drink, smoke, drive, use martial arts, etc., but are these all illegal? No. And I don't think they ever will be because they can or can't be just as dangerous as guns. If you outlaw guns, then logic states that all these others should be outlawed as well.

Where most incidents involving guns do happen at home, they happen because either an uneducated person owns that gun or the gun owner does not lock his/her guns up or forgets to and a child finds them. Other than that, guns have helped foil robberies, protect homes, and save lives. They also help a great deal with hunting. The point is, the 2nd Amendment clearly states that we have the right to bear arms. Some people abuse this right others don't. Some abuse their abilities to drink, smoke, drive, use martial arts, etc., but are these all illegal? No. And I don't think they ever will be because they can or can't be just as dangerous as guns. If you outlaw guns, then logic states that all these others should be outlawed as well.

^^Sorry about the double post. Not sure what happened.

18. Aimy

Aimy Silver Poster Awesome Poster

At the very least we need very strict gun laws to keep guns out of the hands of those who are psychologically unfit, have a violent history, or may be peddling them into the black market. But considering guns have done far more harm than good, we really would be better off just getting rid of them.
    They have had helped, here. But considering it's easier to pull a trigger than to actually stab someone, and also that nations that got rid of them have lower crime rates, there really is no valid arguement for them. Yes people will still arm themselves. But would you be more comfortable fending off your assailent if he pulled out a gun or a knife?
    And there are also many guns that should be taken off the market entirely. Who honestly needs an AK-47?

I wish it were that way here. I have met several people who illegally posess firearms, and even a dealer. They are frighteningly easy to obtain on the black market here.

19. Panache

Panache Contributors

Only liscensed and trained people with a good background should be allowed to own guns. You had better know what you're doing if you own one! Horrible things have happened with guns where psychologically unstable and uneducated people got their hands on them. We need some strict regulations on gun ownership. I also think that doing a background check on those who wish to purchase a gun would be a good idea if they don't already do that, to make sure they don't have a history of assaulting/murdering people, or a bad psychological background.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2011
  20. carntheroos4eva

carntheroos4eva Contributors

Agree with Panache. You should have a license to own a gun.