1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Long Should You Date Before Getting Engaged Or Married?

Discussion in 'The Best General Topics Ever' started by cpvr, Dec 19, 2012.

1. IcyFirefly

IcyFirefly Knows How To Post Awesome Poster

I know it takes time to fully understand someone, and if you don't have that right gut feelings even after all the time you are with that particular person, then it doesn't matter. There are marriages that lasted for over 20-30 years but ended up in divorces at the end. I think the two person involved must be compatible in moral issues as well as principles.

2. beasleym1989

beasleym1989 Knows How To Post Awesome Poster

I don't think there is a set amount of time that someone should wait before getting married. Some people know right away and for others it takes a bit longer. I had children with my boyfriend about a year ago (we've been together for almost 3 years) and will probably get engaged this year. Having kids made us realize that we really are right for each other. If we didn't have kids we may have been dating longer before marriage.

3. cocolgooh

cocolgooh Knows How To Post Awesome Poster

I don't think there can be an exact time scale for marriage. Some people never want to get married while others want to get married as quickly as possible. I'm not sure I'd ever get married but I suppose if the right person came along and it felt right then that might change.

4. heavymetalkilos

heavymetalkilos Knows How To Post Awesome Poster

You can't really say when is the best time to marry - whenever you feel completely comfortable with the person you're with, you should propose. Don't sweat it too much, life is full of surprises and you can never know what will happen after all. If you end up breaking up with your loved one, that's life and you just need to learn from your mistakes.

5. rainhero

rainhero Knows How To Post Awesome Poster

I don't think there is a set amount of time you should have to wait before you get married. I think the most important thing is to love that person and know that the person loves you too. For me I would want a guy that gets along with my family and I his, because I'm old fashioned and I believe family should be a unity. I am a very easy person to get along with, but finding love for me seems to be the hardest thing in the world. I have had a terrible experience with it, and quite frankly I feel like I'm unlovable. Back to the point, I think it just depends on when the two people feel like they are ready to take that big commitment.

Brandon likes this.
  6. jack91

jack91 newbie Awesome Poster

Try to take enough time to know everything about her, i mean until u know what good and bad things she has and then ask yourself, Do i love her ? and the can propose :)

Brandon likes this.
  7. hn_rn

hn_rn Quarter Century Club Awesome Poster

Why even get married? No amount of time together will tell you if it's right. No amount of feelings will tell you if it will even work out for the long haul. You could be totally in love and then life happens or someone else comes along and if you haven't picked a partner who will fight for what you've built together then you're fucked. You're really just gambling with your life any time you enter a relationship.

8. PolkaDot

PolkaDot Knows How To Post Awesome Poster

I couldn't agree more!!!

9. LSDuce

LSDuce Silver Poster Awesome Poster

Just make sure you get married before having sex, or you'll make the baby Jesus cry.

10. hn_rn

hn_rn Quarter Century Club Awesome Poster

Well, hell. I better buy him a couple boxes of tissues.

11. LSDuce

LSDuce Silver Poster Awesome Poster

Hmm, well despite what the liberal media would like you to believe, premarital sex is not all fun and games - at least not the way I do it anyway.

PolkaDot likes this.