1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solution to the Global Food Crisis - Let them eat TURD BURGERS!?

Discussion in 'Everything gross' started by Brandon, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Brandon

Brandon Just here to have fun

Japanese scientist making artificial meat from human feces.

Sh*t Steaks And Turd Burgers - Now that's what you call the ORGANIC part of a Green movement -ha

He says the biggest hurdle is the psychological barrier.
    you have to be shitting me!

[video=youtube;u1N6QfuIh0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1N6QfuIh0g[/video]

2. Monster

Monster Moderator

That's a similar thing than trying to make food from sewage sludge.

There's apparently been research for some years now into the issue.

The largest problem will probably be to extract clean, edible, protein from it that doesn't contain any pollutants, poisons or bacteria.

Sewage contains probably a lot of material that can be recycled in some way -- currently, sewage treatment plants use bacteria to eat anything toxic. But this process only extracts water for water recycling. Perhaps there could be extracted more material for industrial use.

I posted earlier about the FAO's suggestion about promoting insect protein as a food source in developing and developed countries.

All these observations from scientific research often only look at a narrow spectrum (like proteins), and disregard others (like healthiness, allergies, diversity and presentation). It would take a lot of further research on how to create artificial foods that have the same quality and molecule diversity as fresh food. I picture that if that issue isn't addressed properly, that there will be a lot of new kinds of diseases.

For instance, processed food with flavoring made from fungi for instance is long known to cause allergies.

3. Aimy

Aimy Silver Poster Awesome Poster

That's gross! About as gross (but at the same time fascinating) as notebooks made from elephant poo. But, uh, I think I'll pass on that if it should ever be on the shelves at Wal Mart.