1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subtitles In Films

Discussion in 'Entertainment discussion forums' started by joshposh, Apr 21, 2015.

1. rainhero

rainhero Knows How To Post Awesome Poster

I love foreign dramas, I used to watch a lot of Korean and Japanese dramas so I don't mind the subtitles at all. It's the only way you can really understand what's happening in the episode. I can pick up quite a few words in both languages, but I'm not fluent so subtitles are a must. But as far as watching American movies with subtitles, I wouldn't do it. There is no need to since I can understand them myself.

2. heavymetalkilos

heavymetalkilos Knows How To Post Awesome Poster

To be quite honest, I love watching movies with subtitles. It probably has something to do with the fact that I misheard the lines most of the time, so for me to understand what's happening I sort of need them. Of course if there's not an option to get any subtitles I can work my way through the film but it takes double the effort and is not as fun. Subtitles are a personal preference and most of my friends hate that I usually add them, but I can't help it. It gives me security in a way.

3. waitt

waitt Knows How To Post Awesome Poster

I'll often watch movies and TV shows with subtitles simply because I miss bits of dialogue, usually because of sudden speaking voice changes or bad sound mixing on the production end. I'd certainly prefer not to watch them with the subtitles; however, sometimes I find that reading the subtitles gives me better understanding of the movie's smaller plot points.

4. toradrake

toradrake Knows How To Post Awesome Poster

The only thing I hate about subtitles is the fact that it is over the picture. They should make it so that when you turn on the subtitles a blank black bar comes up on the very bottom of the screen where the subtitles show. That way it does not disrupt the picture and you can actually see what it says.

5. Broke College Kid

Broke College Kid Knows How To Post Awesome Poster

City of God and Pans Labyrinth

6. Brandon

Brandon Just here to have fun

bumping this for the newer users

what are your thoughts on movies with subtitles?

Monster likes this.
  7. Monster

Monster Super Moderator Staff Member

I often watch movies with subtitles, especially when they're in foreign languages (except English when I can acoustically comprehend it; my native language is German).

I like them, but they do distract from the movie sometimes. An extreme case of subtitles is those of Crunchyroll, which often place several translated panels on the screen to translate signs etc. Sometimes I have to stop the movie / episode and watch in small increments to read them all.

Crunchyroll definitely has the best subtitles, followed by Netflix. Amazon Video only has them sometimes (at least here in Germany).

I usually prefer watching the original movie with subtitles over watching a lip-synced translated version, since the lip-sync often contains errors (subtitles too). But sometimes I prefer the lip-sync especially if it's late or if I'm too lazy to watch with subtitles. ;)

Brandon likes this.